Monday, June 9, 2008

Mindfulness and sense making

From David Snowden's Cognitive Edge Blog:

Sensemaking is the ability or attempt to make sense of an ambiguous situation. More exactly, sensemaking is the process of creating situational awareness and understanding in situations of high complexity or uncertainty in order to make decisions. It is "a motivated, continuous effort to understand connections (which can be among people, places, and events) in order to anticipate their trajectories and act effectively - David Snowden

I again find myself wondering why a disposition for critical thought needs to be inherent for people to seriously understand their own desires and needs to learn and "make sense" of their decisions. What I like about David's definition is that he identifies the attempts to make sense and not just the ability.

In my own sense making realm, I need to bridge the gap between the attempt and the ability but I believe this to be inherent in me because of a practiced "mindfulness" or "awareness" on a day to day basis. For me it is the essence of why I can make "sense" and why I have, IMHO, a heightened level of situational awareness.

However, this is not something inherent and I often ponder why. However, today I think sense making and mindfulness need to go hand in hand on some level and this is something i will now have to think about......





No comments: